Madonna Adaptive Sports and Recreation has partnered with Nebraska Game and Parks to offer a marksmanship and archery program. For marksmanship sessions, participants will utilize .22 caliber riflers and will have the support of a range safety officer so participants can develop shooting skills to any degree. Sandbag gun mounts and a metal gun mount are available for those that need it.
Marksmanship sessions are held from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on the first Thursday of the month at the Nebraska Game and Parks Outdoor Education Center, 4703 N 44th St., in Lincoln,
The fee for gun rental and a supply of 25 bullets (.22 caliber) is $5.50. See eligibility requirements to participate.
Assistance will not be provided. If the participant needs assistance, it will need to be provided by a family member or caretaker.
To make a reservation, please contact Adaptive Sports Coordinator and Recreation Therapist Rick Haith at 402.413.3722.
Eligibility criteria to participate in marksmanship:
- Mild impulsiveness
- Able to follow three-step commands
- Mild impaired dexterity
- Able to lift at least 3 pounds
- Able to communicate safety tips and steps by some communication modality
- No vision deficits
- Mild receptive aphasia
- Moderate to severe impulsiveness
- Unable to follow three-step commands
- Moderate to severe impaired dexterity
- Unable to lift 3-pound object to should height
- Safety concern
- History of suicidal ideation
- Active depression
- Anger issues
- Suicidal or homicidal thoughts
- Paranoid thoughts
- Moderate to severe receptive aphasia